Tuesday, April 13, 2010

With both girls sick and the teacher away it was up to Gerard and I to help Veeru. We have been working away at suggestions from you guys, modifying them to suit such a small space and such little understanding in terms of language but also in terms of cooperation and caring. The book we had to read in high school “The Lord Of The Flies” comes to mind. This, however, is several generations of children that have grown up (largely) without adult supervision. They are just children so they are capable of beautiful smiles and much happiness but these kids are capable of much brutality too. When they want something they grab, shove, punch, hair pull and generally it is the largest that gets it, or the more cunning or covert. When someone is crying mostly no one notices, sometimes the siblings will attend them especially if Nandini or one of the older girls helping waves a stick or raps them with it. Sometimes the tiny ones will fall asleep on the floor and then one of the children will pick them up and hold them but I have seen them just continue on around and over and on top of them, oblivious to their little fingers, hands, arms heads as they step on them.
So it was with great trepidation I took along an enormous ball of playdough, some rulers for cutting it and some lids for cutting out shapes. (The day before I had met another Australian volunteer who has had a long time association with Tong-len, who smiled with great scepticism at my idea.) I very strongly suggested to Veeru that I would only be able to manage ten at a time (two small round tables with five at each). Immediately that became fifteen but I was managing no problems.
Veeru found me some cups and roller type things as well as some shapes that had hollow backs that were great for cutting out circles, triangles etc. I spent maybe fifteen minutes showing them how to make faces, snakes, etc and they made lots of chapatis. Then little by little the word got around that we were doing something GREAT fun and one by one they filtered into our tent. Each time I had to implore them to give a 'little, little' piece from each to the new person (particularly those who were hoarding it on their lap under the table!). Each time they gave I said thankyou thankyou and so soon they were happily fighting over who was giving to the new comer!
Then Veeru came by to see how it was going and put out another two tables (I could see he would happily have stayed to play too)! He wrote a couple of phrases that I could say to them. The first meaning no fighting, the second meaning share. I said them so many times I cant believe I cant remember them!
Gradually the tables filled, the first lot not tiring, and more and more arriving. Veeru popped by to entreat me to allow them all to join in. I said no - each child was down to only a cup cake size piece each and I was whirling from table to table sorting disputes about rolling implements and cutters.
It was on the whole a great success. They learnt that I was there to stick up for them. I made sure they each got a turn with the preferred instruments and had a reasonable piece of dough each. They learnt that it wasn't ok for the big ones to take away from the little ones or to have the biggest pieces. They actually a sense of fairness happening. They didn't eat any and they gave it all back after!!!! Then best of all while they all sat in their lines waiting for their food three boys called out to me “madam, madam, meru, meru (or similar)” I tried to get it but couldn't so I shrugged and said I can only speak English, but they insisted “Madam, madam, meru, meru” Eventually Veeru came by and I asked him to interpret for me and with a big smile he turned 'madam, that was the best...' I showed them how to do and Aussie thumbs up and we bade goodbye. “Cal meling gai” (see you tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment